Physical and Mental Health
Our health is very important to us and to those who are nearest us. The following links provide information on ways you can maintain and improve your physical and emotional health, including diet, exercise, drinking, smoking, coping with stress and anxiety, etc. You can use the information available via these links to monitor aspects of your health/diet, and to take action to improve it.
If you have any concerns about your health you may find the NHS Choices site a useful source of information and advice. It includes a very helpful tool that enables you to access health advice specific to your symptoms, accessed through the 'Check your Symptoms' tab.
Within the University we have the Centre for Physical Recreation and Sport and facilities such as the Cycle to Work scheme, which all staff can join, to encourage exercise. Our campus catering outlets all offer healthy eating options, and we support employees’ health directly via our Occupational Health Service. There are also links to many external health promotion sites.
- Active Newcastle a guide to sports, activities and active health in Newcastle
- Alcohol Units Checker a guide to the health effects of alcohol from the NHS
- Bicycle Users Group a University group providing information on cycling in Newcastle
- CALM Computer Aided Lifestyle Management, a self-help resource
- Cancer Screening information about NHS screening programmes
- Change4Life information about healthy living
- Chaplaincy working with students and staff of different faiths and none
- Community Food Initiative improving access to affordable, healthy food in Newcastle
- Counselling from Newcastle University's Occupational Health service
- Cycling Resources from Sustrans
- Drink Aware facts and advice on alcohol
- Families Information Service Newcastle City Council's guide to family services
- Frank about drug use
- Guided Meditation for Relaxation meditation sessions hosted by the Buddhist Chaplain
- Health and Fitness Offers and Discounts from Newcastle University's NUOptions scheme
- Health Information from the BBC health-related programming on the BBC TV and radio
- Healthy Food On-site from Newcastle University Catering
- Just Ask confidential support & advice for Newcastle University staff
- Mental Wellbeing five steps from the Foresight Project
- Mindful Employer The University is a signatory to the Charter for Employers
- Mindful Employer - Keeping Well at Work a practical guide for staff
- Newcastle Talking Therapies talking therapies in Newcastle
- NHS Direct Symptom Checker check your symptoms and get advice from NHS Direct
- Stop Smoking tips and advice on how you can find support to help you quit.
- Time to Change "let's end mental health discrimination" is a current campaign.
- Walking to Work information from Newcastle University Estates Service
If you would like to submit a staff announcement or provide feedback about this website please visit our Contact Us section.